The mission of the School is to strive persistently for achieving excellence in computing disciplines. It is being pursued through its spectrum of academic programmes in computing of contemporary standards. The main aim is to produce computing graduates with potential, to design and develop systems involving the integration of software and hardware devices, employ innovative approaches in programming and problem solving and solving problems, create Large Scale Software Systems and build data/computing infrastructure for an organization.
History of computing discipline at VIT dates back to 1993, when the Department of Computer Science & Engineering was established to meet the demand for well-qualified computer professionals. The School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCOPE) was conceived in the year 2009.
At present, the School headed by Dr.Ramesh Babu K, has more than 8982 students and 181 core faculty members apart from many visiting professors, distinguished professionals from industry, eminent researchers and teaching/ research assistants. With an aim to carve a niche for itself in Computer Science and allied domains, the School strives to:
- Become a pioneering world-class centre of excellence in education and research through collaborative, consultative and participatory approaches
- Nurture effective capabilities for the development of high quality technical and scientific manpower to meet the challenges of the knowledge era
- Provide cost-effective Information and Communication Technology (ICT)-based solutions and value-added services to a variety of organisations and to meet the expectations of stakeholders
The school has one of the best infrastructure including domain-specific labs associated with the technical departments mentioned below - many of these labs are sponsored by industry leaders e.g. IBM, Cisco, Sun Microsystems, Red Hat and Microsoft. The School has a good record of organising seminars, workshops, symposia and conferences in emerging technological areas. With an objective of developing core competence in the respective subject matter specialisations and special interest groups for learning newer technologies, the School has formed the following technical departments:
• Department of Analytics
• Department of Computational Intelligence
• Department of Database Systems
• Department of Software Systems
• Department of Information Security
• Department of IoT