Centre for Clean Environment (CCE)
The Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) was established with the aim of providing quality higher education on par with international standards and is recognized as one of the leading universities in India. VIT has always been a research–oriented and innovation driven university. In order to align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), VIT established Centre for Clean Environment (CCE) in 2022. CCE is a university-level research centre that focuses on the development of innovative technologies and providing sustainable solutions for the environmental issues considering local, regional and global concerns by linking with government, industry, NGOs and leading academic partners through local and international research networks.
To be a global research centre for interdisciplinary research in the advancement of environmental research innovation, principally in the areas of energy, environment and sustainability.
- To develop applied and effective solutions for short, medium and long term for improvement in quality of the environment.
- To identify and implement the initiatives and policies in national and international level which have been effective for sustained environmental quality improvement.
- To impart knowledge gained through research to the industries and to assist in setting Goals and Pathways for achieving satisfactory discharge limits of effluents in industrial belts in and around Vellore district.
- To formulate a consortium for Clean, Green and Sustainable environment.
- To promote interdisciplinary research and link with government agencies, industries, NGOs and leading national and global researchers to improve the quality of environment.
- To organize capacity building programmes for environment assessment and improvement through training, education and workforce development.
- To provide scientific information and objective feedback on effectiveness of various clean environment programmes to policy makers.
- To contribute to driving sustainable environmental development for society.